THE STATUE CALLED "NOTRE-DAME OF PARIS"
From the 12th century, an altar dedicated to Mary was placed against
the south-eastern pillar of the cathedral.
This location is a high place of devotion since the Middle Ages.
In the 19th century, the architect Viollet-le-Duc placed
a statue of the Virgin and child there called since "Notre Dame de Paris".
This sculpture dates from the middle of the 14th century.
It comes from the Saint-Aignan chapel, located in the former cloister of the canons, on the Ile de la Cité.
In 1818, it was transferred to Notre-Dame to be placed on the pier of the portal of the Virgin,
replacing the Virgin of the thirteenth century, destroyed in 1793 during the french revolution.